The Squadron was formed in 1941 at Wallingford Grammar School, however, in 1952 it was disbanded as the ATC contracted.
In 1969 the Squadron reformed as a Detached Flight of 2410 (Didcot) Squadron and at the same time moved into its present building which was originally a Public House dating from c 1780 called ‘Gerrards Hall’.
In 1980 the Squadron became an independent unit with its original number of 966. Also that year girls were allowed to join the ATC.
Since then, until the present time, the Squadron has had several Commanding Officers, the longest serving being Flt Lt B Thorrington.